Sunday, July 5, 2009

Christian Music--Changing Opinions (Also, 4th of July!)

So, this was the first fourth of July that I was neither out of the country, traveling with Patriots, or with my family. So, I guess, it was kind of my first fourth of July "on my own." It was pretty great. I went over to Taryne's for hot dogs, then we went to Jazz festival and fireworks. Jazz festival was really great; if I weren't so tired, I would totally go back today. We listened to a Latin band and a band from New Orleans, then we ate Jamaican food before camping out for fireworks. They had blocked off three blocks over by the pentacrest, and there were tons of venders selling food and stuff. Very great. Plus, Katie met us there, and Taryne's friend A.C. And there was a group of RUF people there, so I spent a little time hanging out and talking to Tiffany.

Today, I'm totally wiped out, so I'm spending the day laying on my couch, watching Angel. (I'm netflixing season 2 finally! Part of my quest to see every episode of every Joss Whedon show-hehe.) I was going to go to Grace this morning for church because I knew I couldn't handle afternoon church at OAH, but mapquest gave me bad directions and first I ended up on a country highway driving through cornfields and then stuck at the end of a gravel road, slightly freaked out because some older guy and teenager were just standing next to their car out there. Turns out, they were shooting off homemade fireworks (no, still didn't feel too much better about driving my car down that road). So instead I listened to Pastor Piper online and prayed.

Also, I've discovered I actually like some Superchick songs. By accident, of course. I heard them and thought, "Wow, I like this song," and then was surprised to find out that it was Superchick. But I really like "Stand in the Rain", especially the first verse:


She never slows down
She doesn't know why but
she knows that when
She's all alone feels
Like it's all coming down
She won't turn around
The shadows are long
And she fears if she cries
That first tear
The tears will not stop
Raining down

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day what's lost can be found
You stand in the rain

She won't make a sound
Alone in this fight with herself
And the fears whispering
If she stands, she'll fall down
She wants to be found but
The only way out is through
everything she's running from
Wants to give up and lie down

And I also really like the chorus of "Courage." Even though I prefer subtler lyrics than the verses have (I don't know the first day I felt unbeautiful/the day I chose not to eat), I do like that they're writing songs about stuff like anorexia, and I guess when you're trying to encourage people who are struggling, it's better to say the truth blatantly than in such a way that the young girls you're trying to reach won't know what you're saying. But, anyway, I really like the honesty of the chorus:

I need you to know
I'm not through the night
Some days I'm still fighting to walk towards the light
I need you to know
That we'll be okay
Together we can make it through another day

I'm rediscovering Christian music. I think that when I was in high school, I was largely in an "Only Christian music ever!" part of life, and then when I went to college, I realized that music by non-Christian artist could also glorify Jesus, and I also got frustrated by the fact that Christian artists often aren't great . . . artists. Great Christians, not always great lyricists or musicians. Over the past year, though, I've discovered that there are some great artist out there. I've also discovered that if I can let down my pride enough to overlook one or two awkward lines or cliche chords, there's a lot out there that can be spiritually encouraging to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment