Friday, April 23, 2010

12 Favorite Speeches from Whedon Shows (and Serenity)

So, this began as a list of 10 favorite speeches, but then I found too many. And I didn't have the energy to make it 15 or 20 or some other dividend of 5. So, here it is, my list of 12 favorite speeches from Whedon creations :-)

LIST OF WHEDON SHOW AWESOMENESS


1. Amends, Buffy

Angel: Am I a thing worth saving? Am I a righteous man? The world wants me gone!

Buffy: What about me? I love you so much... And I tried to make you go away... I killed you and it didn't help. And I hate it! I hate that it's so hard and that you can hurt me so much. I know everything that you did, because you did it to me. Oh, God! I wish that I wished you dead. I don't. I can't.

Angel: Buffy, please. Just this once... let me be strong.

Buffy: Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every day. It's what we have to do. And we can do it together. But if you're too much of a coward for that, then burn. If I can't convince you that you belong in this world, then I don't know what can. But do not expect me to watch. And don't expect me to mourn for you . . .
---
2. Fool For Love, Buffy

Death is your art. You make it with your hands, day after day. That final gasp, that look of peace...Part of you is desperate to know... What's it like? Where does it lead you? That's also a warrior's question. A warrior's curiosity.So you see, that's the secret. Not the punch she didn't throw or the kick she didn't land. She simply wanted it. Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you. The only reason you've lasted as long as you have is, you've got ties to the world. Your Mum. Brat kid sister. Scoobies. They tie you here but you're just putting off the inevitable. Sooner or later, you're gonna want it and the second that happens, I pray to God I'm there. I'll slip in, have myself a real good day.
---
3. Hells Bells, Buffy

I, Anya, want to marry you, Xander, because I love you and I always will. Before I met you, I was, like, a different person. Not even a person, really....and I had seen what love did to people. It was hurt. And sadness. Alone was better. And then suddenly there was you, and you knew me, you saw me, and it was this...thing. You make me feel warm, and safe. So I get it now. I finally get love, Xander. I really do.
---
4. Grave, Buffy

Willow: You can't stop this.
Xander: 
Yeah, I get that. It's just - where else am I going to go? You've been
my best friend my whole life. World gonna end - where else would I want to be? [. . .] 
I'm not joking. I know you're in pain. I can't imagine the pain you're in. I know you're about to do something apocalyptically evil and stupid and hey, still want to hang. You're Willow. First day of kindergarten you cried 'cause you broke the yellow crayon and you were too afraid to tell anyone. You've come pretty far, ending the world, not a terrific notion but the thing is, yeah. I love you. I loved crayon-breaky Willow and I love scary veiny Willow. So if I'm going out, it's here. You wanna kill the world you start with me. I've earned that.
---
5. Beneath You, Buffy

Buffy, shame on you. Why does a man do what he mustn't? For her. To be hers. To be the kind of man who would nev— (looks away) to be a kind of man. She shall look on him with forgiveness, and everybody will forgive and love. He will be loved. So everything's OK, right? (sighs) Can—can we rest now, Buffy . . . can we rest?
---
Potential, Buffy

They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary.
---
7. Touched, Buffy

You listen to me. I've been alive a bit longer than you, and dead a lot longer than that. I've seen things you couldn't imagine, and done things I prefer you didn't. Don't exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood... which doesn't exactly rush in the direction of my brain. So I make a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred-plus years, and there's only one thing I've ever been sure of. You. . . . When I say I love you, it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are. What you do. How you try. I've seen your kindness, and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you, and I understand, with perfect clarity, exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the One, Buffy.
---
8. End of Days, Buffy

I've seen a lot more, gotten to know people . . . seen what they're capable of, and I guess I just realized how amazingly screwed-up they all are. I mean really, really screwed-up in a monumental fashion.And they have no purpose that unites them, so they just drift around, blundering through life until they die, which they-they know is coming, yet every single one of them is surprised when it happens to them. They're incapable of thinking about what they want beyond the moment. They kill each other, which is clearly insane, and yet here's the thing. When it's something that really matters, they fight. I mean, they're lame morons for fighting, but they do! They never . . . they never quit. So I guess I'll keep fighting too.
---
9. Habeas Corpses, Angel

Wesley: There is a line, Lilah. Black and white, good and evil.
Lilah: Funny thing about black and white — you mix it together and you get gray. And it doesn't matter how much white you try and put back in, you're never gonna get anything but gray.
---
10. Home, Angel

Lilah: Flames wouldn't be eternal if they actually consumed anything. But it means something that you tried.

---
11. Not Fade Away, Angel


[Why] don't I go off and have one last perfect day? Smell the flowers, or sky-dive [. . .] or whatever the hell one is supposed to do in this situation? There is no perfect day for me, Illyria. There is no sunset or painting or finely-aged scotch that's going to sum up my life and make tonight any . . . There is nothing that I want. [. . .] The first lesson a watcher learns is to separate truth from illusion. Because in the world of magics, it's the hardest thing to do. The truth is that Fred is gone. To pretend anything else would be a lie. And since I don't actually intend to die tonight, I won't accept a lie.
---

12. Serenity

Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

No comments:

Post a Comment