Saturday, May 2, 2009

. . . et j'adore la musique . . .

So, lately I've had to "cool down" before going to bed, which usually means spending half an hour wasting time on the computer or watching TV, etc. before I can actually hope to sleep if I went to bed. And since I just got back a little while ago, I decided to wind down by blogging.

I went to the Cedar Rapids symphony tonight. I carpooled with a guy named Andrew who didn't have a ride, and it was fun to get to meet someone new from my department. The symphony did two more recent Czech pieces and Dvorak's ninth symphony. And they were really good! I assumed that they'd be decent because of all the different schools around with big music programs (hence, faculty), but I was still impressed. Not the Minnesota Orchestra, but definitely at a professional level I only thought was found in big cities.

Anyway, I have a habit of closing my eyes at times throughout concerts. It started when I was really young and made up stories to go with the music, and then it became a "I don't want to be distracted" thing . . . though I admit, I still sometimes ignore any music history I know and make up stories to go along with the music. And I love (!) Dvorak's ninth. I know that it's on everyone's "top 10" list, but I guess there's a reason for that-haha.

On the way back, Andrew got a text from a guy that had been in one of my classes last semester and was invited to a bonfire. I offered to take him there and just got out of the car to say hello to Paul. Turned out, I knew almost everyone who was there, even though they were all second and third year students. So, I ended up staying twenty minutes and talking. It was fun. However, the cool spring air and my cold didn't get along too well, and I came home to curl up in a blanket and drink warm lemon-flavored tea.

It was a good evening. I love music. So much. I really miss that part of my life. Hopefully this summer, I'll get a "practice mute" for my horn so that I don't have to leave the apartment to practice :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment